Friday, August 20, 2010

Save money while carrying your Gear!

I have been buying things recently, and shopping all over (online) for gear, gadgets, and stuff - call them accessories. I know that when I start shopping, am thinking that the items I buy will help me take more and better photos. The truth is, and it took me a while to figure this out, is that I just need to get out and shoot more - I have all the gear I really need (oops - did I say that?).

This time I decided it would be justified if the price tag stayed low, and the items were useful. :)

What did I get?
I recently purchased a large telephoto lens that was pretty expensive. I wanted to make sure it was well protected, so I ordered a Lowepro LC4 padded lens case for about $45 taxes in - reasonable, right? (Henry's on EBAY)

I also ordered another set of Cactus v4 flash trigger/reiceivers. I have one set, and I dropped the trasmitter once (whoops), and it opened up, but it still worked fine after I put it all together. I should have a backup, right? $50 US (shipping in) - Reasonable, and I got a second reciever so I can trigger 2 flashes at once!. (Gadget Infinity)

The cables that come with the Cactus have a PC connector at one end, but it is not a screw lock type, so it could be more secure, so they don't come off unexpectedly and get damaged - reasonable, right?. Couple of cables....$25 or so. (Flash Zebra)

I was surfing around and thinking about the Lens case I ordered, and I have a few other cases which belong to Lowepro's slip-lock system. These can attatch to a special belt, and loops on their backpacks, etc. I looked up the Deluxe Padded Belt....$53 - ouch... I am not saying it is not worth it, I have never tried one, but at this point it was too rich for me. You are probably wondering about the title of the post now, after I listed all the money I spent...I found a padded tool belt that works with the slip-lock system at Canadian Tire for $14.99 (57-0006-4) !!!!

I will try it out this weekend :)

....I am also eying a $20 USD Remote Timer for my Camera from LinkDelight.....hmmmmm (did I mention that the Canon version is $150 USD?)


AUG. 21 Update...I just bought the above mentioned timer remote. :)
...and I forgot to mention that I picked a cheap tripod carrying strap on e-bay and...I cannot forget the $2 lens hood for my new 'backup' lens - the Canon EF-S 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS - which I picked up on Kijiji for $40. :)

I think I should stop.

No comments: